Tuesday, November 6, 2007

It’s all in the mind

I've been in a bit of a rut with my poker lately. My results have been fairly average, and I am struggling to get excited about grinding out the hands each day. I have thought about moving up a level but decided it could be a dangerous move, so have decided instead to play more tables. I used to 12 table without too many problems, but wanted to concentrate on improving my poker play, so cut it back to 9. I think that I have now improved my game and am ready for 12 again. Pokerstars seems to have increased their max tables allowed to 15. I don't think I'm quite ready for 15 yet, but it could be fun to give it a go sometime. I get quite a bit of overlap 12 tabling on my 20" monitor so am thinking of upgrading to a 24". I started 12 tabling the NL50 tables today to get back into the swing of it, and went on a real rush. The good thing about playing more tables is that there is less time to get bored and I can complete my hands quicker each day. Fingers crossed that I can keep focused and playing well 12 tabling over extended periods.

Today's Topic: Why am I not winning at poker:

Here are the seven top psychological factors that damage your play and perceptions of poker according to Alan Schoonmaker in his excellent book "Your worst poker enemy".

  • Know less about the game than you think you know
  • Are less talented than you think you are
  • Let pride, anger, and other emotions adversely affect you
  • Don't seriously try to maximize your profits, despite anything you may say
  • Don't fully accept responsibility for your decisions and consequences
  • Expect greater profits than your talents, knowledge, and personality can produce
  • Don't analyze yourself thoroughly and objectively

If any of the above factors are affecting your game, then it is important to understand and correct them. If you are not certain how to fix them then get yourself a copy of "Your worst poker enemy" in which all of these factors and many more are covered in great detail. It has certainly helped fix a couple of psychological leaks that I had, the main one being " Not seriously trying to maximise my profits".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shoulԁ be a part of a contest for one of the greatest sites on the
net. I mοst certaіnlу wіll гecommend thiѕ site!



Mу sіte - AmericasCardRoom Offer

Anonymous said...

Its like you rеаd my mind! Yοu
seеm to know a lot about this, like уou
wrоte the book in it οr ѕοmething.
I think that you can do with а few ρіcs to drive the messаge home a little
bit, but inѕtead οf that, this іs ωondеrful blog.

An eхcellent read. I will defіnitely be baсk.


Мy ѕite - Red Kings Poker Bonuѕ ()